Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Melinda's Closet: Queer Struggle?

I think that David Latham makes an important parallel when he asserts that Melinda's the struggles that Melinda goes through in the novel Speak are similar to those of the gay community.

Melinda has a secret (her rape) that she is afraid to tell anyone. Her fears are not completely unfounded; she is afraid of the reaction that may confront her if she tells anyone. Rape is a subject that still carries a level of taboo in our society, and rape victims often face alot of controversy when they do "out" their secret because most times the truth is impossible to prove for certain. In Melinda's case, no one saw the rape happen, it's just her word against her rapist's, Andy Evans, and it's understandable that she feels people may not believe her or may have mixed feelings about this. She instead retreats to her closet because it provides her with a level of security.

I'm not gay, so I can't say for certain, but I think that homosexuals face the same sort of struggles. Latham mentions that the metaphor of the "closeted homosexual" closely mirrors the struggles of Melinda. They, too, have a secret that is surrounded by a certain amount of controversy, and I'm sure they worry about the reaction they may get when they are "outed". Latham's point is that both Melinda and homosexuals are find different ways of fitting into society's gender roles, thus making them both queer struggles or sexualities. From my interpretation of Latham's article, I think he raises a good point.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that homosexuals, like Melinda, fear the reaction when they "come out". I mean, Latham has some good connections, but overall I wasn't sure of the point of the comparison to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comparison is an unusual stance. Latham might be perceived as being "out on a limb" by some readers. But some comparisons are justified, or at least well-argued. The physical closet Melinda creates, and later emerges from, is at least in small part, a decent metaphor for the "closet" itself.

    What "closets" do our young people put themselves in? What happens when they emerge?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think alot of young people put themselves in a "closet" that fits a seemingly necessary role in their family lives or maybe even within their circle of friends or communities. I'm not sure if I'm being clear, so I'll give an example. Let's use myself, as an adolescent I played sports and was very involved in music. I played sports because everyone in my family played sports and I wanted to be able to fit in. Around my junior year I quit; I decided I didn't need to fit in and I never really liked sports that much in the first place. My parents FREAKED! Asked if I was depressed, on drugs, you name it. This is sort of a silly example, but I think this happens to alot of adolescents who aren't able to fully be the people they want to be. When they have the courage to emerge from the "closet", they are met with alot of disappointment and hostility.

    ReplyDelete