Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Entwicklungsroman and The Chocolate War: What a Disappointment!

Among various other themes, Robert Cormier's novel, The Chocolate War, explores how adolescents react when confronted with the existence of evil. There was alot about the book that I liked- the melodrama surrounding otherwise mundane events that occur in the life of the high school boys reminded me of how it felt to be a teenager. Everything was a big deal, even if it wasn't, and Cormier really took me back in time and reminded me of how teenager's look at the world. I also liked the way in which he wove HUGE questions into the everyday workings of a typical high school- How, why, and when do we leave the herd mentality behind? Or more succintly- Do we dare disturb the universe?

I have learned that when presented with the truth about the corruption of an institution (be it government, church, a job) that most people have the cliched "flight or fight" response. They either choose to ignore it, hoping that by being apathetic and forgetting about the problem that the problem will in turn, forget about the individual and leave that person out of the path of their corruption. Or, an individual becomes enraged by the corruption and fights against it. I love Jerry Renault's reaction in The Chocolate War- he doesn't want to use violence so instead he stands his ground and accepts the consequences of challenging the school and the Vigils. Jerry chooses the most noble path that was available to him, and I love that Cormier wrote the novel this way. What I don't love is that he chose to end the novel in a way that in my opinion, does not validate Jerry's choice. The message Cormier is sending is that the individual can choose to fight, which may get him respect for a while, but in the end, the institution is bigger than the individual and will crush him. Cormier's ending may be appropriate for an adult novel (though I still love the happy ending promised by most Bildungsromans!), but the message I think it sends to adolescents is that it's not worth fighting the power of an institution. The ending trivializes what little power Jerry had at his disposal and sends the message that he really has no power at all. To be a little more accurate, the ending conveys the message that Jerry didn't have the power to save himself, nor did he have the power to save Goober. Disturbing the Universe argues that Goober knows that Jerry died for his sins, but does Goober become empowered by this act? Will the individual triumph over the institution in the end? No one knows since Cormier ends his novel before I have a chance to enjoy the warm fuzzies that come with a romantic ending.

Really Cormier? I don't think we should force our children to look at the world through rose-colored glasses, but I do think that we should allow them to maintain some hope and sense of justice. Creating a story where good battles evil and good always wins big is a bit lame, I'll agree. But it's the way in which the evil is confronted that makes the story interesting; and it's the way in which good is validated, no matter how minimally, that reminds the reader why fighting back is always worth it. I was with you 'til the end Cormier, but this is where I jump ship.

8 comments:

  1. Haha, I like how you say that you "jump ship". I know exactly what you mean. I really thought that Cormier picked the bleakest ending he could think of. I think it would be interesting to ask students in a classroom how they would have alternatively ended the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually liked the book as a whole, including the ending. It made it seem more realistic to me that even though Jerry had fought so hard to revolt against the chocolate sale and The Vigils, he ended up failing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole,

    I agree with you that the story does end with Jerry seemingly defeated by the institution; however, I think Cormier did an interesting job showing that the only reason Jerry was defeated was because he allowed himself to be.

    You mentioned that you believe that this book allows the reader to think that Jerry didn't have the power to save himself. I disagree-- Jerry did not have to continue to throw punches in that boxing ring... he allowed his violent nature to overcome him, which is precisely what the Vigils expected and wanted him to do. By giving in to his animalistic instincts, he thus lost the battle with the institution. I think the message that is being sent to youth through this text is that standing up to an institution (no matter what it may be) is not necessarily a quick, easy, or painless thing to do; however, in the end, it may just be worth it.

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mention about how Jerry does not have power nor does he free Goober, but isn't the idea that Goober was able to stand up at the end during the fight opposing the entire school like Jerry. I realize that no one hears him but earlier in the book when Father Leon pulls the kid in class up to single him out Goober does not say anything, so in this very instance Jerry has helped Goober succeed. Not to mention that though Jerry fell at the end not at any point in the book did he sell the chocolates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole - I'm with you about the ending. If there is one thing that's a tough sell to a classroom of young people, it's that good guys often finish last.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you made a very good point about the ending of the novel. Of coarse, I wanted a happily ever after ending, but we didn't get it. Although this may have been a good ending for the novel, I think your point is very good, too. I hadn't really thought about it giving adolescents a bad image of standing up for what they believe in. It seems that kids that age struggle with that issue anyway, let alone to read something like that in a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although the ending seemed that Jerry was finally corrupted, I think it was perfect. By making the bad guys really seem horrible, it shows kids that power is not all that great, and they should follow their morals. Typically, the bad guys in high school are usually the pretty cheerleaders or the dumb jocks, who you just seem to love and hate at the same time. They are usually harmless, other than harsh words. However, the Vigils were just plain cruel. Which gives adolescents the option of whether it is worth being cruel to have power, or if they should follow their morals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excerpt: "What I don't love is that he chose to end the novel in a way that in my opinion, does not validate Jerry's choice. The message Cormier is sending is that the individual can choose to fight, which may get him respect for a while, but in the end, the institution is bigger than the individual and will crush him. Cormier's ending may be appropriate for an adult novel (though I still love the happy ending promised by most Bildungsromans!), but the message I think it sends to adolescents is that it's not worth fighting the power of an institution. The ending trivializes what little power Jerry had at his disposal and sends the message that he really has no power at all."

    I would tend to disagree with you about the book's ending. I think that Jerry's impact was so much greater than just himself. The Goober was severely impacted with Jerry's refusal to sell chocolates, and when Jerry stood up to The Vigils (read: Archie), others followed. Obie and Carter stood up to Archie too, physically and verbally. By bringing the marbles to the fight and letting him know he will be taken down one day, Cormier really shows that Jerry's impact was more wide-spread.

    ReplyDelete