Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Harry Potter


When I began reading Perr Glanzer's article "In Defense of Harry . . . But Not His Defenders: Beyond Censorship to Justice Author(s)", I found myself immediately agitated. I didn't really have a good reason; I love the Harry Potter series and was thrilled that a scholar was writing an essay defending the right of students to read the novels. Instead, Glanzer put me on the defense when he wrote "Sadly, though, I find most defenses of reading the Potter series in public schools deeply flawed".


What what what?!? My thoughts raced and my heart pumped; surely I was not going to have to hear a bunch of right wing conservative attacks on my beloved Harry AGAIN! As I continuted reading, Glanzer's purpose became obvious. He was writing not only to defend Harry Potter, but also to observe that most of the arguments in favor of the novel are self-serving and flawed.


My reaction to one sentence of Glanzer's article is indicative of a much larger problem; I would argue that it parallels the same flawed rationalization that gives supporters of Harry Potter fuel for their fire. I like Harry Potter and see value in the story; because I like the work, I find every excuse I can to talk to other people about the novel, convincing the "non-believers" that it has merit, and I would venture to say that if possible I would find a place for Harry in my own classroom.


But my motives are selfish and biased. Glanzer is spot-on when he says that Harry Potter does not attack one specific worldview, nor does it promote a specific worldview. While it may seem to someone like me that Harry Potter is a neutral novel, it is perfectly reasonable for a parent to be concerned about the worldview that, while not promoted, is portrayed as an exciting place. I myself like the worldview(s) presented in Harry Potter. I see the value in challenging authority, choosing friends for their inner qualities and not their social status, following the path to self-discovery/identity no matter where it takes you, and finding value in the marginalized realms of society. However, not everyone agrees with my values, and not everyone wants to raise their children the way that I do.


While I think Harry Potter is a valuable novel that inspires kids to pick up a book, I will think twice next time before blindly insisting on the quality of my favorite novels. Glanzer got me to re-think my argument for Harry, and I think he did a great job defending him. Maybe one day Glanzer can argue Harry's case for the school board in my district....

No comments:

Post a Comment