Tuesday, October 13, 2009

American Born Chinese/ Constructing a Teaching Life


I loved this book! I liked the format; the storyline and images were tastefully and artfully done, although I personally could've done without the picture of the spear through Wong Lai-Tsao. This is an approachable text that I would love to use in my classroom.

The book also contains alot of positive messages as well as food for thought. The struggle and rewards that come when you construct your own identity, dealing with prejudice, and how to recognize some of our own stereotypes are a few of the lessons that can be learned from reading this novel.

To continue on the topic of identity construction, I gained perspective from Gaughan's first chapter in his book Cultural Reflections. The three examples of teaching styles that he gave were helpful because I have had teachers who fit every category, and then some in between. It was easy to remember what was effective for me as a student, and the more traditional approach executed by Mrs. Keller was NOT it!

Gaughn writes on page 8 that "students won't explore their place in and influence on society if they aren't confident writers in the first place". This is such a relevant quote for me because my goal as a teacher is to help students think critically and write effectively so that they can be active and informed participants in our society. Isn't that what education is meant to do? To prepare students to function within our society? And I couldn't agree more- when students, heck, when people in general, are confident with their skill level they are more likely to participate in society and in their own lives. I like the style of teaching where students are writing something everyday.

As always, there is lots to think about and discuss with this article and with the text!

5 comments:

  1. I, too, remember what teaching styles worked for me, and which ones didn't. I was thinking when reading the article that we talk in class about teaching the classics, and some of us (JOSH! ;P) feel it's not necessary, whereas others feel it is. I think the most important thing, and I think we said it in class, was HOW we teach the classics. If we teach it in Mrs. Keller's style with the lectures and make it as boring as possible, of course kids won't enjoy them or ever want to read them again! But if we interact, pair literature with other more teen-focused novels, we might be able to get through the importance that old novels about the 19th century still have relavance today. It's all about teaching style, and I think it's so important that we have these conversations to really think about what our own teaching styles will be.
    On a side note - I was thinking about your comment about helping students think critically and write effectively. I read "I Read It, But I Don't Get It" by Cris Tovani for my Book review. I HIGHLY recommend it. Her arguments are pretty solid, and she also stresses the importance of teaching students how to think critically, and some really practical ways to do it so that they not only foster a love of reading and books, but love them because they can understand them and get meaning out of them, both on a superficial but also on a critical level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also associated the three teacher examples in the book to teachers that I have had from middle school to college. I have found teachers every step of the way who have fit into those categories.
    To name one, I think Dr. Zumkhawala-Cook does a great job of providing a theme for the class (like the third example), and everything we do in class is somehow related to that theme.
    I felt the chapter was helpful in defining the teachers I was unable to really describe before, and it showed the benefits and negative aspects of each, allowing us to decide which combination of those three we need to be to keep ourselves sane and our students happy, productive, and excited about English.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also loved this text. It was a great switch up from the other types of novels we have been reading. It does have great messages behind it as well. Good points!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did like that Gaughn used examples of teachers to show different methods for teaching the same thing. It goes to show that even thought it may be one novel, there are multiple things that can be done with it. I also like that the wrote about his own experience as a first year teacher. I know that when I think of teaching, I think of going into my class and the kids are going to listen and everything will work out great. Unfortunately, that is probably the exact opposite of what is going to happen. I think it is important to hear stories like this before going into teaching so that we can be prepared for what is or could happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe it's not the exact opposite, Kayla...you might get into a great district and have model students...but even then, there will always be those few who can sense that you're a first year teacher and try to make your life miserable. They do exist, even if they hide it behind sweet, little faces that smile at you on day one. =)

    ReplyDelete